Driving a Panama Vehicle to another Country
Since October of 2010, Panama does not allow non-residents to drive a vehicle registered in Panama to another country. That means tourists who purchase a vehicle in Panama will not be able to drive the vehicle out of the country.
Here are the basic requirements to obtain approval to drive a vehicle registered in Panama to another country:
1. Vehicle must be current with its registration.
2. Obtain a Paz y Salvo from the Municipality showing no outstanding parking tickets or fines or fees are owed.
(a) Bring the vehicle to the appropriate municipality vehicle inspection site with the chassis numbers and VIN numbers clearly visible and a clean engine.
(b) Bring the vehicle’s ATTT registration and proof of ownership documents.
3. Obtain Panama Customs Clearance Certificate from the Aduana.
4. When obtaining the above-mentioned documents, go to the Panama City Municipality to obtain a Certificate “Autorización para la Salida de Vehículos Fuera del País”.
Additional Required Documents
Natural persons must present a copy of their Panama ID card (cedula or residency carnet card).
If the vehicle has an outstanding loan for its purchase, the lender must provide a notarized authorization for the vehicle to leave the country.
If the actual owner will not be obtaining these certificates, a Power of Attorney will be needed signed by the actual owner specifically authorizing the person and including his cedula number.
Vehicles owned by a corporation will require the following additional documents:
1. The person making the application must present his cedula and a copy of it.
2. Present an original certificate from the Panama Public Registry verifying that the corporate owner is registered and in good standing.
3. An original notarized document authorizing the specific person to make the application signed by a legal representative of the corporation.
4. If the vehicle has an outstanding loan for its purchase, the lender must provide a notarized authorization for the vehicle to leave the country.
Contact Us for all of your Panama Relocation needs.